Mylord John Wilmot The Second Earl of Rochester

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Вы здесь » Mylord John Wilmot The Second Earl of Rochester » Поэт Джон Уилмот - Сатиры » ЭКСПРОМТЫ и ЭПИГРАММЫ.

ЭКСПРОМТЫ и ЭПИГРАММЫ.

Сообщений 1 страница 4 из 4

Charles Sackville
Was the first to swyve
The young Nell Gwyn it*s reckoned:
So through our King
Has since shagged Gwyn
He*s only Charles the Second.

Here lies our Sovereign Lord the King,
  Whose word no man relies on,
Who never said a foolish thing,
  Nor ever did a wise one.

Другие версии.

We have a pretty witty king,
Whose word no man relies on,
Who never said a foolish thing,
Nor ever did a wise one.

The witty Earl of Rochester wrote this mock epitaph on his patron:

Here lies our mutton-eating king,
Whose word no man relies on;
He never said a foolish thing,
And never did a wise one.

The late Earl of Rochester, who liv’d in the Reign of Kinf Charles the Second, was very well known to be an ingenious Man, and his Poems sufficiently shew how ready he was at making Verses. One day the Earl happen’d to wait upon his Majesty, when there were in the Royal Presence the Duke of York, the Duke of Monmouth, the Duke of Lauderdale, and Dr. Frasier, who tho’ the greatest Dunce perhaps in the whole College, had yet the Honour to be one of the King’s Physicians. The King, being in a merry Humour, upon the Earl of Rochester coming in, says to him, Rochester, they say you can make good Verses extempore; prithee let’s hear some of them now. Upon what Subject wou’d your Majesty have them, says Rochester? Subject, says the King, looking about him, let it be upon All us that are here. I beg your Majesty’s Pardon, reply’d Rochester, I dare not to do it. Why so, says the King? For fear I should offend your Majesty, says he. No, no, says the King, you sha’n’t offend me, say what you will; and therefore I command you to do it. If your Majesty commands, says Rochester, you must be obey’d; and so began thus:

Here’s Monmouth the Witty*,
and the Lauderdale the Pretty**,
and Frasier, that learned Physician***;
but above all the rest
here’s the Duke for a jest****,
and the King for a grand Politician*****

Oh, my Conscience, says the King, he has satyriz’d upon us all! No wonder indeed that you begg’d my Pardon; for you are resolv’d to stand in need of it.

Покойный граф Рочестер, живший во времена правления короля Карла Второго, был очень хорошо известен как находчивый человек, а его поэмы в достаточной мере показывают, что он был всегда готов к сочинению стихов. Однажды случилось так, что граф нанес визит его Величеству, который пребывал в окружении особ королевской крови - герцога Йорка, герцога Монмаута, герцога Лаудердэйла – и Др.Фразьера, который хотя и прославился как самый большой болван чуть ли не во всем колледже, тем не менее удостоился чести быть одним из королевских врачей. Король, будучи в веселом расположении духа, при виде входящего Рочестера, воскликнул: «Рочестер, они говорят, что ты можешь сочинить экспромтом недурственные стихи; прошу, позволь нам убедиться в этом сейчас». «На какую тему Вам бы хотелось, Ваше Величество?» - спросил Рочестер. «Тема,- сказал монарх, приглядываясь к Рочестеру, - пусть будет обо всех нас, присутствующих здесь». «Я прошу прощения у Вашего Величества, - отвечал Рочестер, - но я не осмелюсь.» «Почему так?»- спросил король. «Из-за боязни оскорбить Ваше Величество», - произнес Рочестер. «Нет, нет, - воскликнул король, - ты не оскорбишь меня, говори, что хотел; и потому я приказываю тебе». "Раз король приказывает, - отвечал Рочестер, - значит, надо повиноваться. Тогда начнем так..."

Гарольд Лав.
**** Duke would not take a jest
***** this well said of the King, who was negligent and careless, tho’ otherwise a Man of strong Parts

В другой раз король  со товарищи выпивая, играли в крамбо - и никак не могли найти рифму к  слову "Лиссабон" -  родному городу  Королевы Катерины  Браганца. Король сказал :" Если бы здесь был Рочестер, он бы  занялся этой рифмой  сразу."  Одного из джентльменов послали на поиски.  Когда Рочестер , наконец,  не торопясь  появился,  король  заявил: " Милорд, мы тут  заняты крамбо и никто не  может найти рифму к  "Лиссабон".   Рочестер подтвердил, что " это действительно очень сложно,   Ваше Величество".   - " Ну, вы же  сможете это  сделать?" - спросил король. - "Да, Сир, в виде станцы, если вы  меня изволите простить". - "Вы опять думаете о каком нибудь баловстве. Ладно, я гарантирую вам свое прощение." - сказал король. Рочестер наполнил свой бокал и   продекламировал:

A  health to Kate!
Our sovereign´s mate,
Of the royal house of Lisbon;
But the Devil take Hyde,
And the bishop beside
Who made her bone his bone.

Король  вскинул брови, наморщив лоб  * о,  богатый английский язык!*  и  попросил  Рочестера удалиться,  что тот  и  сделал незамедлительно, опустошив  все же  сперва  свой бокал .

*Хайда обвиняли в том, что он специально  подстроил  брак  Чарлза с  Катериной, оставшийся бездетным, чтобы тем самым ускорить  возможное восхождение на престол своей дочери -  Герцогини Йорк.*

Portsmouth's Looking Glass.

Methinks I see you, newly risen
From your embroider'd Bed and pissing,
With studied mien and much grimace,
Present yourself before your glass,
To vanish and smooth o'er those graces,
You rubb'd off in your Night Embraces.

To Etherege I drink a pledge
  His life has run the gamut:
  He's penned nought good
  Since She Would If She Сould
  He would if he could, but he cannot.

My Lord Rochester attempting to kiss the Dutchess of Cleavland as she was steping out of her chariot at Whitehall gate, she threw him on his back and before he rose he spoke the following phrase:

By heavens 'twas bravely done,
First to attempt to chariot of the sun
And then to fall like Phaeton.

When she was  in mid- career,  he wrote:

When  she has jaded quite
Her  almost boundless  appetite…
She´d still drudge on  in tasteless vice
As if she sinn´d  for exercise.

Your husband tight
Rising to shite
This song did  write
The last midnight.

:dance3:

Когда Этеридж подхватил сифилис, Рочестер  утешил  его следующим:

Gentle Sir George  keeps to  himself his Miss
For who the devil would meddle with his ?
So have I often  seen a country clown
By spitting in  the posset  make´t his own.

To  all young men that  love to woo,
To kiss and dance, and tumble too;
Draw  near and counsel take  of me,
Your faithful pilot I will be;
Kiss who you please, Joan, Kate or Mary,
But  still this counsel with you carry,
Never marry!

:clap:

Вы здесь » Mylord John Wilmot The Second Earl of Rochester » Поэт Джон Уилмот - Сатиры » ЭКСПРОМТЫ и ЭПИГРАММЫ.